The Agricultural Service Board’s authority is derived from the Agricultural Service Board Act R.S.A. 2000 Chapter A-10. Section 3(4) of the Act states that the board must exercise on behalf of Council all the powers and perform all the duties that are conferred on it by Council, under this or any other enactment, with respect to agricultural matters. All policy changes and expenditures must be approved by Council.
The purpose of the Agricultural Service Board, as described in Section 2 of the Agricultural Service Board Act, are:
- to act as an advisory body and to assist the Council and the Minister, in matters of mutual concern,
- to advise on and to help organize and direct weed and pest control and soil and water conservation programs,
- to assist in the control of animal disease under the Animal Health Act,
- to promote, enhance and protect viable and sustainable agriculture with a view to improving the economic viability of the agricultural producer, and
- to promote and develop agricultural policies to meet the needs of the municipality.
ASB Meetings & Agendas 2020:
Next ASB meeting is November 12th,2020 starting at 9:00 am at the Brownlee building.
(Meeting is open to the public.)