Employment opportunity: FCSS Coordinator https://www.centralpeacefcss.ca/employment-opportunities
FCSS Coordinator: Kara Wendland
780-864-3500 press 1
FCSS provides many different services, including:
- Helping Hands Home Support Program
- Transportation Program
- Kid’s Summer Day Camp Program: Camp WaNaGo
- Community Christmas Hamper Project
- Other Services and Program Initiatives
- Meals on Wheels
Helping Hands Home Support Program
Provides home support service (light housekeeping, menu planning and companionship) to all residents of participating municipalities on a cost sharing basis for anyone experiencing problems that limit their ability to live and function independently including:
- New mothers
- Senior citizens
- Persons recovering from illness or operation
- Persons with a physical or mental disability
- Individuals dealing with the death of a loved one (during funeral preparations and the 5 weeks following)
- Transportation Program
Transportation Program Policy FCSS
Provides public transportation to residents of:
- Municipal District of Spirit River
- Village of Rycroft
- Town of Spirit River
- Other community members if space permits
Primarily to access medical services in the Spirit River Region and Grande Prairie, Alberta.
Transportation also provided for shopping, entertainment, cultural and personal purposes as time permits.
The FCSS van goes to Grande Prairie on the second Thursday of each month. Participants must call the office to reserve space.
The 10 passenger van is also available for private bookings.Transportation Fees:
|MD Residents||$20.00 per passenger|
|Village of Rycroft Residents||$20.00 per passenger|
|Town of Spirit River Residents||$20.00 per passenger|
|Non seniors||$25.00 per passenger|
|Saddle Hills/Birch Hills Residents||$30.00 per passenger|
|All others||$30.00 per passenger|
These fees will help pay for maintenance and operating expenses.
Kara Wendland Co-ordinator
Box 389 Spirit River, AB T0H 3G0780-864-3500 press 1 F:780-864-4303
Kid’s Summer Day Camp Program: Camp WaNaGo
Summer day camp program provides families with an affordable option for summer child care while providing youth with opportunities to learn new things and have fun with other children.
- Camp Wanago will be operating again this year. The ads are now in the Signal for staff. We will have a booth at the Trade Show during June Jamboree. Come and visit us and register your child(ren) for summer camp. More information will be provided in the future.
Reasonable day camp fees
- Many activities and field trips including trips to:
- Grande Prairie
- Community libraries
- Recreation facilities
- Spirit River Swimming Pool
- Children are given the opportunity to develop:
- Independence by choosing their activities
- self-reliance and confidence through learning new skills.
Community Christmas Hamper Project
This community tradition serves all needy residents. Needy families can be nominated or make personal application to receive a hamper. The community donates non-perishables at collection sites. Local businesses sponsor fresh food purchases and donate volunteer labor.
Other Services and Program Initiatives
In addition to ongoing programs, many side services and seasonal projects are also available.
- Training Opportunities
- First Aid
- Children’s Home Alone program
- Babysitter’s Course
- Community Networking
- Community Connection Fair – September
- Drug and Alcohol Prevention and Awareness
- Anti-Bullying Campaign
- Sponsors speakers and presentations in schools
- Grief Support
- Senior’s Programming and Events
- Salute to Seniors
- Referrals to other agencies who can meet your needs.
- HIV Information
- HIV North Society ( Grande Prairie – PH # 780 538-3388
- HIV Edmonton 1 877 388-5742
Meals on Wheels
FCSS also partners with other local organizations, and networks with other Family and Community Support Services organizations to keep up with the needs of the community.
This committee oversees the many programs provided by the FCSS. FCSS is a partnership between the Province of Alberta, its Municipalities, and Métis Settlements, that develops locally driven preventive social initiatives to enhance the well being of individuals, families and communities.
Board of Director’s
- Council Representative MD #133
- Elaine Garrow – Elected
- Jeanne Yoder – Chair
- Richard Byam – Member at Large
- Stan Bzowy – Alternate
- Council Representative Village of Rycroft
- Yvonne (Trish) Olsen- Member at Large
- Cesia Romero – Member at Large
- JoAnne Chelick – Council Rep
- James Verquin- Alternate
- Council Representative Town of Spirit River
- Terry Boomgaarden- Council Rep
- Lynette Nooy – Member at Large
- Brenda Stanich – Alternate